Friday, September 20, 2013

`Tug of War' by K. Larsen

Tug of WarReviewer: Jess

Rating: 5 Stars

Synopsis:

Impulsive, YES. Irresponsible, SURE. Necessary, PROBABLY. Going to end badly, most likely. Does any of that matter to me, no. I decided that I can't please everyone so this week my only goal is to please me. I’m a selfish cow but I can’t seem to help it. I’m Clara Lord. I own Bloodline’s Tattoo Parlor, have a filthy mouth, no filter and a really strong objection to bossy idiots, pet names and wealthy men.

You will hate me, love me or love to hate me but either way it doesn’t matter. Everything I touch turns to crap and it’s all my fault. See, I lived through hell. Then I escaped hell and carefully spent the next eight years crafting a perfect little life until Domini Napoli screwed it all up. Now nothings right. Everything’s wrong and all my secrets are coming out.


REVIEW

For those of you not familiar with my reviews I should let you know I HATE SPOILERS! I won't tell you much about a book because I'm a fan of going into books blind. I'll often avoid reading the blurb or I'll read the blurb, purchase the book, categorise it and then leave it in my library until I can't remember what it's about anymore. It's just way more fun for me that way and I highly recommend it!

Tug of War by K. Larsen is the kind of book that will bring you relief after a long stretch of same old same olds.
Clara Lord is the owner of a tattoo parlour with a beautiful and fulfilling life but a hidden past. When she meets Dominic Napoli on a weekend away with her girlfriends everything is turned upside down and she's made to not only come clean but assess herself and make some serious changes.
When I read the prologue I fell in love with Clara instantly! She seemed a strong character who knew herself and was unapologetic about who she is... but then I nearly got lost at "Everything I touch turns to crap and it's all my fault". My first thought at that was that I may be encountering another character who has so much potential but just ends up whinny and self-doubting. My second thought was that I was walking into another book that hinges around a character who's created a ridiculous misunderstanding that needs to remain unresolved until the end. Is anyone with me? It's just an overused lazy plot ploy if you ask me and oh so frustrating for the reader who's screaming at the character, "Are you truly that stupid! Get a backbone! Own your mistakes! Stand up for yourself!"
I digress. Two minutes into the next chapter and I was HOOKED! It had me up way past my bed time and then reaching for my iPhone (don't ask) as soon as I woke in the morning.
This book was just absolutely delightful! The characters were well developed and realistic. I loved Clara and really wanted to see her do well and Larsen delivered! What a breath of fresh air!
The plot drops were delivered with perfect timing. It was like, "Pow! You thought you knew but you didn't know! Take that!" So well done!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. Overall, an easy read with delightful characters that you want to spend your time with. Just brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment